Friday, October 19, 2007

How important are opposible thumbs anyway?

I don't think my Socktober goals will be met this year. I don't even think that I'll be able to finish Jeff's socks in time for his birthday. grrr.

Oh, why you ask?

Here's why.


The actual injury doesn't show up too well in pictures, but this hurts like the dickens. The red dimple you see at the base of my thumb joint is from swelling, and the joint doesn't really move much, at least not without pain. That IS as straight as I can get my thumb, and you can see just how swollen that joint is. It's really noticeable next to the right hand, but of course I can't take a picture of both my hands.

At karate last night we were doing a drill where one person punches fast and the other blocks fast. Lots of fun, we call it "machine gun middle blocks" I'm helping sensei demonstrate, and that man can block FAST! I'm punching as fast as my arms will go.

Not sure exactly what happened, but he ends up accidentally blocking my left hand - right on the thumb. I feel a crunch and then blinding pain. I finish class, take some ibuprofen and go on with the second class. Thumb hurts like the dickens, but I can still move it, so there's not much else that can be done.

So I get home and try to do some knitting. Hey, it's only my left thumb, not like it's my dominant hand, right? I mean, how much do you really use you non - dominant thumb in knitting? Apparently a lot. I get through one "row" of Jeff's socks and have to stop. I'm nearly in tears because of the pain. So today, I sit at my desk, thankful I hit the spacebar with my right thumb, with a nice new brace I bought from CVS.

Here is my brace

And here are my socks.

I got a lot done, actually. Most of this was accomplished at the Farmer's Market. So now I just need to figure out what I want to do tomorrow in the 4 hours of farmer's market. I usually knit!

No comments: