Saturday, September 13, 2008

Rising Meadows

Rising Meadows Farm had an awesome farm fest today, and I went with a few of my friends.



It was a lot of fun! There were tasty lambburgers (I had tzatziki and tomatoes on mine). There were spinning demonstrations, and I got to try out a couple of very nice spinning wheels.

We got there just in time for the herding dog demonstration.

There was a farm with angora rabbits. This adorable shaved dude is a german angora. They need to be clipped to harvest their wool. I also got to see someone spinning angora. . .




Right off the bunny!



Here is a video Eliana Kenyan, owner of Avillion Farm, demonstrating!

Of course, I bough a few things I've not spun before. I didn't go too overboard (Kept it under $30 actually) and I have some fun spinning now to do. I stuck with things I've not spun before, so I have soysilk, silk hankies and some inego.

4 comments:

Tamsie said...

I was there too - it was fun! I loved the alpacas in the shade, just as you arrive. I bought two skeins of llama yarn, one a deep coffee brown and the other more a mocha. What does one make with 300 yards of llama?

Michelle said...

ooh, yeah I loved the alpacas too but wasn't able to get a good picture of them. They make a really neat noise!

I'd probably do something with a lot of skin contact, like armwarmers, or a scarf or cowl. Something to feel the nice llamainess all the time!

Jennifer said...

I feel bad I missed it! Sounds like a great time.

Anonymous said...

I bought some llama/silk and I *think* I'll get just enough very fine lace weight for an Ice Queen. I love llama - the critter and the hair.