Sunday, February 3, 2008

Mead!

My friend, Phil has decided to help me jump into the yummy and somewhat messy world of making mead.

Here's the recipe we used:

The cooking:

1 whole tangelo, processed with skin on
1 gal wildflower honey
3.2 oz (0.2 lb) ginger root, grated
4 T vietnamese (6% oil) cinammon
1T whole cloves
3 sticks cinnamon
4T loose leaf earl grey tea.
4 gal water


The microbiology:

2.5 tsp yeast nutrient
4 tsp high alcohol yeast nutrient
1 package sweet mead yeast

The potential:

Specific gravity 86= 20 oschsale = 13% potential alcohol (but being a sweet mead, it will probably end up more like 11-12%)

The mess: Only once did honey mixture get spilled all over the floor, and Phil's socks. It was fairly well contained, but I'm still finding the occasional sticky spot on my floor.



The wait:

6 months to 1 year.

I hate waiting.

No comments: